Chesapeake College empowers students from diverse communities to excel in further education, employment, and participation in an interconnected world.
Embracing the importance of student learning to our mission, the College:
- Empowers students as independent learners who are intellectually competent, skilled in the application of learning, technologically proficient, and grounded in the values and common goals of our civic culture
- Challenges students to see beyond themselves to better understand their place in a global society and culturally diverse world, while preserving and enhancing the rich cultural heritage of the region
- Provides a curriculum and activities that meet the needs of an increasingly diverse student population
- Enhances learning opportunities, in partnership with community organizations, that reinforce the value of service to others and strengthen students’ ethical development and civic engagement
- Ensures an environment conducive for learning by providing appropriate facilities, support services, technology, and other resources to enhance student learning
Recognizing our role as an engine for regional economic and community development that improves the quality of life for those in our service region, the College:
- Supports workforce development by providing the courses and training needed to build a skilled labor force
- Enhances enjoyment and appreciation of the arts by incorporating cultural activities into the curriculum and bringing fine and performing arts events to the region
- Sponsors a broad range of community and civic activities that reflect the College’s role as a community-learning center
- Extends access to baccalaureate and graduate degree programs for Upper Shore residents through inter-institutional partnerships
Our Core Values
Empowering and supporting each student to achieve their greatest potential while making decisions with our students in mind
Creating a dynamic environment for learning and development that establishes high standards for individual excellence
SUSTAINABILITY AND RESPONSIBILITY
Taking responsibility for our actions, acting as responsible stewards of our resources, and adhering to the highest standards of ethical and civic behavior
Engaging our community and serving as a catalyst for positive change on campus and in our region through effective communication
TEAMWORK AND SHARED GOVERNANCE
Working together through collaboration to develop ideas, knowledge, and creative solutions
Creating an environment where campus stakeholders are empowered to exercise collaborative creativity and innovation
DIVERSITY AND RESPECT
Fostering inclusiveness and an appreciation for individual differences
Responding rapidly to local and global change
Strategic Plan Priorities 2019-2024
Ensure the opportunity for students to succeed through an intentional, holistic student experience
Students are at the heart of everything we do at Chesapeake College. Whether joining us for workforce training, to gain necessary credits to pursue a four-year degree, or to take advantage of continuing education opportunities, we aim to ensure our students are successful. We don’t want their success to stop here; we want students to thrive in life and in the future. As a result, we focus on the holistic student. We understand the challenges faced by our students and strive to create an environment where they have the opportunity to flourish in their programs, in their communities, and in their personal lives.
- Goal 1.1 Develop a culture of empowering student success
- Goal 1.2 Enhance the student experience
- Goal 1.3 Ensure appropriate resourcing and staffing to enhance student success
- Goal 1.4 Conduct intentional fundraising efforts to enhance student success
Provide meaningful face-to-face and online educational programming and support that anticipates and meets the needs and expectations of our students and our region
Chesapeake College recognizes the importance of our programming to our students and the Eastern Shore. We aim to be the first choice for education for our five-county service region by offering relevant programming that maximizes the talents of our faculty and the opportunities presented by our communities. We work to properly balance programming to ensure opportunities for workforce development, transfer programming, and continuing education. Further, we strive to ensure a balance between face-to-face and online offerings that highlight innovative pedagogy and student experiences. To succeed in offering academic programming to our students, we rely on strong partners—from local high schools to the business community to four-year institutions.
- Goal 2.1 Calibrate programming to maximize appropriateness and relevancy
- Goal 2.2 Appropriately integrate credit and non-credit program administration, advising, and marketing, in line with discipline-specific pathways
- Goal 2.3 Expand partnerships and agreements with service-area high schools and Maryland four-year institutions
- Goal 2.4 Re-envision workforce programs and develop appropriate on and off-campus program and student support
CULTURE OF EXCELLENCE
Deepen the culture of excellence and innovation amongst faculty, staff, and administration to empower all stakeholders and ensure accountability throughout the College
An institution can only be as strong as the faculty, staff, and administrators that serve it. Chesapeake College recognizes the dedication and talent present within our employees and strives to deepen our culture of excellence. This involves finalizing an organizational structure that is clearly communicated and maximizes the opportunities for all campus stakeholders to grow, be recognized, and have the opportunity to exhibit leadership within their areas. Moreover, it must allow for innovation and creativity when appropriate. Through enhanced communication, a focus on customer service, and a deep appreciation of diversity, we will continue to acknowledge the excellence of our staff and develop even stronger leaders.
- Goal 3.1 Finalize organizational structure changes
- Goal 3.2 Provide opportunities for faculty and staff growth, recognition, and leadership, along with opportunities to innovate and exercise creativity
- Goal 3.3 Promote a positive campus climate through increased communication, collaboration, and a focus on customer service and appreciation of diversity
- Goal 3.4 Ensure future stability of the College
Ensure appropriate technology is available for fulfilling the College mission
For an institution that aims to prepare students for success beyond their time on our campus, it is essential that faculty, staff, and students are provided with the technology necessary to maximize their potential. Chesapeake College will assess our current technologies available, identify gaps, and work collaboratively to find appropriate solutions. Beyond having the technology available, it is essential that we maximize the utilization of tools through meaningful, continuous training opportunities for all campus stakeholders. Whether thinking of hardware, software, network capacities, or security policies and procedures, we strive to ensure we are well-prepared to meet our mission.
- Goal 4.1 Complete a technology needs assessment on campus—including financial commitment needed to achieve goals—and work across the institution to determine a timeline for achievement of infrastructure needs
- Goal 4.2 Ensure that appropriate information, security policies, and procedures exist on campus
- Goal 4.3 Provide tools for faculty, staff, and students (selected collaboratively, where appropriate) to best assist the campus community effectively and efficiently, and assure utilization of provided tools
- Goal 4.4 Develop and offer technology training for faculty, staff, and students to maximize adoption, utilization, and innovation
REGIONAL AND COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT
Serve as the connector for regional development and innovation on the Eastern Shore
Chesapeake College aims to serve as the connective hub for education, industry, development, and innovation for our five counties and the Eastern Shore. By helping to bring together community members, employers, not-for-profit organizations, and educational institutions, we can help to ensure the continued success of our region. Through reenergizing our partnerships throughout the Eastern Shore by way of increased communication and community presence, we aim to meet the needs of our students and region. And we will continue to rely on regional data to help guide our strategic and operational decision-making.
- Goal 5.1 Leverage current partnerships and create meaningful new ones that position Chesapeake as a community connector and economic engine
- Goal 5.2 Recalibrate internal processes and efforts to meet the needs of our region
- Goal 5.3 Strengthen existing partnerships within the region
- Goal 5.4 Use available institutional and regional data to build and support strategic enrollment, marketing, and student success plans
We will all be the authors of Chesapeake's success.
We must all commit to ensuring our students succeed during their time on our campuses, in their future work, and in life. We must ensure our faculty and staff opportunities to grow—professionally and personally—as members of the Chesapeake family. And we must continue to serve the needs of our area counties and the Eastern Shore through developing programs and graduates that allow for industry growth and progress. Through a culture of shared governance, data-informed decision making, inclusive excellence, and continuous improvement, we will support faculty success, grow the student experience, increase employee satisfaction, foster alumni and community loyalty, and elevate the reputation of Chesapeake College.